Monday, February 28, 2011

And so it begins...




On November 29th, 2010 I started the hardest job I've ever known... becoming a Mother. You can say that you're ready, and you can tell yourself over and over that you are prepared for what is about to happen. But once you see that sweet little face, and their eyes meet yours, you realize for the first time, one, that you are completely in love, and two, that you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. And trust me, if you've never experienced it, that feeling is the most overwhelming and scariest place you will ever be. Suddenly here is this little person you've been dying to meet for (in my case) the last ten months, and it's your responsibility to make sure that they can make it out here in this big world. Wow.

I wanted to start this blog so new moms have a place to come to, and they know that they aren't alone. Because trust me, in those first few weeks there are times when you feel like you and your baby are the last two survivors of a nuclear holocaust. And yes, having help from your spouse, a loved one, or your family member can help tremendously... but they aren't there all the time, you are. And that little one looks to you for survival. And that ladies, is our new lives. Everyday, loving and caring for this little person who you never knew you could love so much your heart doesn't feel big enough.

But I want you to know that you are not alone. What I have to keep telling myself is that every second of everyday, there are women out in the world dealing with exactly what I'm going through. The body changes, the horomonal roller coaster ride, the raising of a child, and the struggle to figure out how to live in a world I used to navigate so well with a baby. And in most cases these women are copeing without electricity, without water, a home or the money to buy food, or the ability to get food. How blessed am I? I must remember to always count my blessings, and remember what a truly wonderful life I live in a free country.

Each day I learn and grow in this experience, and that's what I want to share. How everday has a moment when you realize you are strong enough, physically and emotionally, to do this. To be a good Mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment